Martin William Roche, M.D.
Board Certified Orthopaedic Surgeon
A native of Ireland, Dr. Martin Roche is Chief of Orthopaedics at Holy Cross Hospital in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and Surgical Director at Holy Cross Orthopaedic Institute.
He joined Holy Cross Hospital in 1996 and has since performed
thousands of reconstructive joint procedures. He is a pioneer in minimally invasive techniques for joint replacements, robotics, and sensor applications. He specializes in advanced Autologous cartilage implantation for the knee. He is an international speaker and surgical instructor for joint replacements, and advanced surgical techniques.
University of Miami, Jackson Memorial Hospital
July 1992 to July 1996
||General Surgery, Internship and Resident
University of Miami, Jackson Memorial Hospital
July 1990 to July 1992
||National University of Ireland
University College, Cork Medical School
Degree: M.D., B.A.O., B. CH., Honors
September 1985 to June 1990
- Holy Cross Orthopedic Institute, Holy Cross Medical Group Fort Lauderdale, Florida 1996 to Present.
- Board Certified Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Chief of Orthopedics Holy Cross Hospital, 1999 to 2011
- Robotic Director Holy Cross Orthopedic Institute
- Active Florida License, 1992
- Irish Medical License, 1992
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
- American Medical Association
- Broward County Medical Association
- Florida Orthopedic Society
- Irish American Orthopedic Society
- International Society for Technology in Arthroplasty
- Consultant Team Physician “Florida Marlins” Professional Baseball Team, 1998 to Present
- Consultant Team Physician “Miami Fusion” Professional Soccer Team, 1998 to 2000
- Team Physician “Playball Baseball Academy”
- Surgical Instructor: DePuy Sigma Rotating Platform Knee and Preservation Unicondylar, 1996 to 2006
- Selected to Strathmore’s “Who’s Who in Orthopedic Surgery 2002”
- Orthopaedic Consultant and Design Collaborator to MAKO Surgical Corp
- DePuy – Surgical Instructor and consultant for total knee systems and surgical approaches
- Chief Medical Officer, OrthoSensor, Inc.
- Congress Chair, International Society for Technology in Arthroplasty, 2013
- Associate Professor, Florida International University
- Roche M, Anderson C. Quantifying Sagittal Plane Kinetics and Flexion Gap Balance in TKRs Utilizing Integrated Sensors. AAOS Video Abstract, 2013
- Rossi MD, Eberle T, Roche M, Brunt D, Wong M, Waggoner M, Blake R, Burwell B, Baxter A. Use of a squatting movement as a clinical marker of function after total knee arthroplasty. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2013 Jan;92(1):53-60.
- Roche M, Anderson C. Utilization of Sensors during Total Knee Arthroplasty to Define Sagittal Plane Kinetics, Abstract accepted for Podium Presentation at Annual Congress Meeting of the International Society for Technology in Arthroplasty, Sydney, Australia, and ICJR ISK Annual Meeting 2012
- Roche M, Anderson C. Detection of Tibiofemoral Malrotation using Sensors to define Implant Congruency during Total Knee Arthroplasty, Abstract accepted for Podium Presentation at Annual Congress Meeting of the International Society for Technology in Arthroplasty, Sydney, Australia, and ICJR ISK Annual Meeting 2012
- Roche M. Improving Accuracy in Knee Arthroplasty. Book Chapter, 2012.
- Michigan State University, Grand Rounds, 2012
- Cleveland Clinic, Update in Joint Reconstruction Surgery. “Integration of Sensors during TKA,” 2012
- Dunbar NJ, Roche MW, Park BH, Branch SH, Conditt MA, Banks SA. Accuracy of dynamic tactile-guided unicompartmental knee arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 2012. (5):803-8e1.
- Eberle T, Rossi MD, Brunt D, Roche M, Waggoner M, Blake R. Influence of Patient Characteristics and Number of Physical Therapy Visits on Physical Performance Following Knee Arthroplasty. To be presented at the 2012 Annual Meeting of the APTA, Poster Session, June 6-11, 2012, Tampa, Florida.
- Brunt D, Rossi MD, Eberle T, Roche M, Waggoner M, Burwell B. Physical Function After Three Different Knee Replacement Procedures. To be presented at the 2012 Annual Meeting of the APTA, Poster Session, June 6-11, 2012, Tampa, Florida.
- Bozic KJ, Roche M, Agnew SG. Hospital-Based Employment of Orthopedic Surgeons – Passing Trend or New Paradigm?: AOA Critical Issues. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 2012. 94(9); e59 1-5
- Rossi MD, Eberle T, Roche M, Waggoner M, Blake R, Burwell B, Baxter A. Squatting after primary unilateral total knee arthroplasty: A pilot study examining differences between genders. PMR. Jul;3(7):613-8, 2011.
- Lecture - Harvard Hip/Knee Meeting. “Orthopedic Implant Failures, Soft-Tissue Issues,” 2011.
- McRoberts WP, Roche MW. Novel Approach for peripheral subcutaneous field simulation for the treatment of serve, chronic knee joint pain after total knee arthroplasty. Neuromodulation. 2010. Apr;13(2):131-6.
- Rossi MD, Eberle T, Roche M, Waggoner M, Blake R, Burwell B, Baxter A. Initiation of a Closed-Chain Exercise Program Within the First Month After Simultaneous Bilateral Knee Replacement Surgery: A Case Report. Physiother Theory Pract. 2010;26(3):204-14.
- Rossi MD, Eberle T, Roche M, Waggoner M, Blake R, Burwell B, Baxter A. Delaying knee replacement surgery, implications on early post-operative outcomes: A pilot study. Orthopedics. 2009;32(12):885-93.
- Wong M, Rossi MD, Eberle T, Roche M, Waggoner M, Blake R. Can A Leg Press Exercise Be Initiated Early After Simultaneous Bilateral Knee Replacement And What Are The Implications on Strength and Weight-Bearing Inter-Limb Asymmetry: A Case Study. Published: Physical Therapy On-Line: PO-112-RR-TH. Presented at: Annual Conference & Exposition of the American Physical Therapy Association, 2009.
- Rossi MD, Eberle T, Roche M, Waggoner M, Blake R, Burwell B, Baxter A. Does The Timing Of Surgical Intervention Influence Weight-Bearing Within The First Week Following Total Knee Replacement? Published: Physical Therapy On-Line: PO-104-RR-FR. Presented at: Annual Conference & Exposition of the American Physical Therapy Association, 2009.
- Eberle T, Rossi MD, Waggoner M, Roche M, Blake R, Burwell B, Baxter A. Initiation Of A Leg Press Exercise Within One Week From Unilateral Knee Replacement. Published: Physical Therapy On-Line: PO-108-RR-FR. Presented at the Annual Conference & Exposition of the American Physical Therapy Association, 2009.
- Eberle T, Roche M, Blake R, Rossi MD. Strength Training Initiated Within The First Two Weeks After Unilateral Knee Replacement Based On Medical Exercise Therapy (M.E.T.): Can Intense Physical Therapy Be Initiated Soon After Surgery And What Are The Results? Published: JOSPT, 39(1):A39-A100. Presented at: Combined Section Meeting of the American Physical Therapy Association, 2009.
- Paper Presentation 2/2009 American Physical Therapy Association Las Vegas, “Strength Training initiated within the first two weeks after Unilateral Knee Replacement”
- 2009 AAOS Instructional Course Chairman on Advanced Surgical / Robotic Technologies in Uni and Bicompartmental knee surgery
- 2009 Surgical Lecturer and Instructor NYU, “Contemporary management of Unicompartmental Knee Arthritis”
- Operation walk Quito Ecuador 9/09
- Conditt MA, Roche M. Minimally Invasive Robotic-Arm-Guided Unicompartmental Knee Arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 2009. 91(Supplement 1); 63-68
- Eberle T, Rossi MD, Roche M, Waggoner M, Blake R, Burwell B, Baxter A, Elbaum L, Capote D, Cata J. Utilization Of An Exercise Protocol With The Distal Segment Fixed Following Primary Unilateral Knee Replacement: A Descriptive Analysis. Published: JOSPT, 38 (1): Suppl: A45-6. Presented at: Combined Section Meeting of the American Physical Therapy Association, 2008.
- 2008 AAOS (San Fransisco) Annual Meeting Instructional Course, “Surgical Approaches to Unicompartmental Knee Arthritis with Minimally Invasive Technique CAS and Haptically Controlled Robotics”
- 2008 EOS (Las Vegas) “ The role of Robotic Knee unicompartmental knee replacements and initial clinical experience
- 2008 Lecture and Lab demonstration to the Traveling Insall Fellows, “The role of Haptic Robotics in Knee Surgery” Northwestern University Chicago (Dr Stulberg)
- Dalury DF, Barrett WP, Mason JB, Goldstein WM, Murphy JA, Roche MW. Midterm survival of a contemporary modular total knee replacement. A multicentre study of 1970 knees. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2008;90(12):1594-1596
- Eberle T, Rossi MD, Roche M, Cancino K, Lima T, Llovett S. Utilization Of Closed-Chain Exercise Combined With Physical Therapy Within One Week Following Unilateral Total Knee Replacement (TKR) Surgery. Published: Journal of Manual Manipulative Therapy. 15(3): 175–189. Presented at: American Academy of Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapists Annual Meeting, 2007.
- Lecturer 2007 LAF (Miami), “Patellar Complications in Total Knee Arthroplasty,” “Revision of Unicondylar to Total Knee”
- Lecturer 2007 / 2008 Florida Orthopaedic Society, “Haptic Robotics in Knee Surgery” “Conversion of a Uni to a Total Knee”
- “Ten Year Outcome of the Sigma Total Knee Replacement” 1996-2006. Accepted for presentation at AAHKS 2006 and AAOS 2007
- Lecturer 2006 Autumn Orthopaedic Summit (Ponte Vedra, FL) “Dynamic Knee Balancer”
- Lecturer 2006 Latest Advancements in Orthopaedics (Atlanta) “Subvastus and Mini Midvastus Made Easy,” “Advances in Unicompartmental Knee Replacement Current Trends and Innovative Approaches,” “UKA Experience and Innovative Approaches”
- Lecturer 2006 ISTA (New York City)“Knee Balancing and Kinematics, How to Achieve a
Balanced Flexion and Extension Gap”
- Poster Presentation 2006 AAHKS (Dallas), “Survival Analysis of a Contemporary Modular Total Knee Replacement: A Large Multi-center 9-Year Study”
- Surgical Instructor: 2002-2005 Latin American Orthopedic Knee Reconstruction and Learning Center, Fort Lauderdale, Florida-Holy Cross Orthopedic Institute
- Lecturer and surgical instructor at the Depuy Learning Center Chicago minimally invasive knee surgical approaches and instrumentation, 2004 to Present; Unicompartmental knee replacements surgical instructor 2005-2007
- Lecturer at the South American Conference, “Tips For Unicompartmental Knee Replacements” Miami 2005
- Brazilian knee society 2002
- Ouellette Anne, Roche Martin. “Compartment Syndrome and Volkmann’s Reconstruction” Surgical Reconstruction of the Upper Extremity, chapter 19, ed. James Herndon 1999
- Surgical and Rehabilitative Techniques to Maximize outcomes in Total Knee Replacements” Presented at the South Florida Physical And Rehabilitative Society, 1998
- “Complex Primary Knee Replacement and Revision Surgery” “Clinical Outcomes using the P.F.C. Knee- 5 year follow up,” Presented at the Venezuelan Orthopedic Society: 1997
- Ilizarov Treatment of Tibial Pilon Fractures, Presented at Grand Rounds University of Miami 1996
- ISTA 2007 France, “Initial Experience with Implant Placement using a Haptically Guided Robotic System”
- Brazilian Knee Lecture 2006,“Unicomparmental Knee Surgery with Haptic Robotics,”
“Rotating Platform Knee Surgey”
- Columbian Knee Society and Surgical Instructor 2006 (Bogota, Columbia), “Unicompartmental Knee Arthroplasty,” “Eight Year Outcomes for Sigma,” “Rotating Vs. Fixed Bearing Knees”
- Irish American Orthopaedic Society 2005, “Minimally Invasive Knee surgery”
- Brazilian Knee Society
- Mexican Knee Society 2005, “Rotating Platform Knee Replacement”
- South American Hip and Knee Society 2004 to 2006, (Buenos Aires, Argentina) “Uni-Compartmental Arthrosis,” “Rotating Platform, What I need to know- concept Indications, Results,” “Minimally Invasive Surgery, Risk and Indications,” “Polyethylene wear and alternative surface”